System testing is a testing level where a complete behavior of fully integrated software product or application is tested. Testing is done according to the scope mentioned in functional requirement specification (FRS) or software requirements specification (SRS) document.
Before starting system testing test cases are prepared based on possible risks factors and/or requirement specifications, business process, use cases, or other high level descriptions of system behavior, interactions with the operating systems, and system resources. System testing tests not only the design, but also the behavior and even the believed expectations of the customer.
System testing comes under black box testing is carried out by specialists testers or independent testers in order to measure the quality of the system unbiased.As system testing comes under black box testing it does not required knowledge of internal design, structure or code. System testing is carried out only after all “integrated” software components that have passed integration testing.
In System testing the goal of tester is to find bugs/defects based on software application behavior, software design and expectation of end user.
The type of test that that are generally performed during system testing are:
1. Graphical user interface testing
2. Usability testing
3. Software performance testing
4. Compatibility testing
5. Software performance testing
6. Load testing
7. Stress testing
8. Volume testing
9. Exception handling
10. Scalability testing
11. Security Testing
12. Sanity testing
13. Smoke testing
14. Exploratory testing
15. Ad hoc testing
16. Regression testing
17. Exploratory testing
18. Ad hoc testing
19. Regression testing
Why system testing is important:
1. System testing is very important as it is first level of testing where system is tested as a whole for the first time.
2. System testing helps to identify whether the developed system meets functional requirement or not.
3. System testing plays a key role in identifying the defects hence the chance of error or fault at user end is reduced.
4. Defects are caught at early stage so cost of fixing the defects is reduced.
5. System testing is performed on staging environment which is similar to the production environment and hence stakeholders can get a good idea of the user’s reaction.
To test functional and non-functional requirement of system.
Types of defects:-
Functional and Non-functional defects.
System requirement specification (SRS)
Functional requirement specification (FRS)
1. Exit for integration testing is satisfied.
2. Smoke test has passed.
1. System test stop criteria is met.
QTP, QC, LR and other tools.
1. System test log (STL)
2. Defect reports system test report (STR)
3. Release Note.
4. Test summary Reports.