Performance Testing is a type of non-functional testing which is performed to determine how a system performs in terms of responsiveness and stability under a certain load. The system is tested under a mixture of load conditions and check the time required responding by the system under varying workloads.
Software performance testing involves the testing of application under test to ensure that application is working as expected under variety of load conditions. The goal of performance testing is not only find the bugs in the system but also eliminate the performance bottlenecks from the system.
- It can serve different purposes like it can demonstrate that the system meets performance criteria.
- It can compare two systems to find which performs better. Or it can measure what part of the system or workload causes the system to perform badly.
- This process can involve quantitative tests done in a lab, such as measuring the response time or the number of MIPS (millions of instructions per second) at which a system functions.
Why do performance testing?
Before going live in the market, the software system should be tested against the Speed, Stability and scalability under variety of load conditions. If system goes live without doing performance testing may cause the issues like running system slow while simultaneously accessing system by several users, poor usability which likely to gain the bad reputation and it affects the expected sales goal directly.
Performance testing helps to:
- Improve user experience on sites and web apps.
- Increase revenue generated from websites.
- Gather metrics useful for tuning the system.
- Identify bottlenecks such as database configuration.
- Determine if a new release is ready for production.
- Provide reporting to business stakeholders regarding performance against expectations
Types of Performance Testing:
1. Load Testing.
4. Endurance testing.
5. Scalability Testing.
6. Volume testing.
Top Performance Testing Tools:
- Apache JMeter
- Rational Performance Tester
- QEngine (ManageEngine)
- Testing Anywhere